Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Ride Through the Town


            I just went to my friend’s concert and as I was listening to him play, I thought about writing (per usual). If I had to write a story in the half hour that I was there, what would I write about? (As a disclaimer I would like to include the fact that I had recently finished my article and so was still in the crazy journalistic mode where all I can think about is writingwritingwritingwriting.) There was a game on the television, the bands strumming along on the stage, the odd-looking teenagers playing pool. Any of those could be the subject of an article or several articles depending on what angle you use.
            Once you get in the mode of constantly thinking about what you could write an article about, it becomes addicting. Everything is a possible topic and your mind becomes a whirlwind of interviews, word counts, inverted pyramids and delayed leads. For instance when we were driving back from the concert, I was still pondering all of this.
            Cue paragraph of intensely profound reflection.
            As the car makes its way through the streets of Boston, I realized something: the world is pretty damn huge. There’s so many people to meet, so many places to go, so many things to see. There should be no shortage of stories to write. Just in this one city there are endless possibilities. The past, the present, the future. An ongoing string of time. An ongoing string of consciousness. Everything existing all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment