Of course as a journalist I should comment on the recent
Boston tragedy. To be honest, I don’t know much about it. But that’s because I
haven’t sought out the information. I’m not a big fan of politics or the news,
so all I’ve heard about it is what’s on Facebook and what my friends have told
me. But even with this I know a fair amount, because that’s the nature of
newsworthy things. Even without journalists people would hear about what goes
on in the world. News travels through the channel of human interaction as
naturally as water flows in a river. But I suppose the purpose of journalism is
to do it better, faster and more efficiently.
It
is these principles that were called into question concerning the coverage of
the Boston bombing. Misinformation, conspiracy theories and false accusations
littered news outlets. Twitter blew up, Facebook blew up and at first no one
knew what was going on. It’s hard to know what is fact and what is fiction.
Which leads me to my next blog post.
No comments:
Post a Comment