I’ve learned that you’re not supposed to put yourself into
your articles, that a journalist should write about a subject and not get
involved. Opinions = bad. But when is it appropriate? Obviously opinion pieces
will be full of--you guessed it--opinions, but what about everything else?
Where is the line?
I
personally dislike not being able to put myself in my pieces. I feel like I’m
not even a part of them. I am the writer, the one choosing which words to use,
where to put quotes and when to hit the return key, but I still don’t feel like
I’m involved. How is one supposed to stay removed enough to maintain the focus
on your subject, but involved enough to instill life and personality into an
article?
I
especially struggle with this because I normally write poems and song lyrics,
so I am used to including my own thoughts and perspectives into my writing. The
switch to this more removed sort of writing style is hard for me, but I am
getting used to it. Perhaps it’s just a matter of balance, or it goes on a
piece-by-piece basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment